Monday 11 July 2011

Blog 3 Beatles Walking tour


On July 2nd our group did a Beatles walking tour in London. This tour was complete opposite than the Liverpool Magical Mystery Tour we did. This tour was based on the historical landmarks of London that the Beatles made popular. The Liverpool tour was based more on the member’s childhood lives and landmarks that were important to them while they were growing up and becoming The Beatles. Both tours were very enjoyable and I learned a great amount of information.
The first spot that we stopped at was Paul McCartney’s London office. It is called MPL. Paul started this company in the 1970’s shortly after The Beatles broke up. He currently still uses this location for publishing music. This location is a popular location in London primarily because it Paul McCartney’s office. Paul still stops by from time to time, I can only imagine how cool it would have been if he would have been there while we were touring.
The next stop we made on our tour was Trident Studios. This is the studio where the Beatles recorded “Hey Jude”. Trident studio is not only famous because of the Beatles but it always was where Elton John, David Bowie, Queen, Carly Simon, and Marc Bolan recorded some of their biggest hits. These stars are just a few of the well-known musicians that recorded in these studios. On the front of the studio there was a listing of some of the artist that has worked here. It was really cool to be in the same location where some of the biggest music hits were recorded.
As we were walking to 3 Seville Road we stopped at a mural on the wall. This mural looked like it was inspired by the Sergeant Pepper album cover. It was a very colorful mural with four main people who stood out in the front row. I loved seeing the how the Beatles have had so much impact on everything. Without the Beatles album cover I highly doubt this mural would have turned out the same way.
After walking a few streets over we were at 3 Seville Road.  This was the old Apples studio where the Beatles performed their last ever roof top concert on January 30th 1969. They played for about 40 minutes. They would have played longer if they could of, however a tailor located on Seville Lane called and complained about the noise. When the cops came they enjoyed and listened to a song or two before they made them stopped. I can only imagine the feeling and people that were crowded around on the street that day. I think that the Beatles doing a rooftop performance is the best way to end a wonderful decade of talented music. Today you cannot go inside or up on the rooftop of the building, this doesn’t stop Beatles fans from walking by and snapping pictures of this famous location.
Our final destination was the well-known Abbey’s Road. I was so excited to arrive at this location and be able to get a picture walking across the street. This was Road today is the most photographed location in the world. It is famous because of the Beatles record album and Abbey Road studio where the Beatles recorded many of their most famous tracks. Today not just Beatles fans, but everyone will stop and walk across Abbey Road to take a picture. As much as I enjoyed walking across the street, this is probably the most annoying street in London for locals. I was amazed to see how many people there were coming and going throughout the short time we were there. They have even gone as far of putting in a camera that does 24 hour tapping of the street. I loved taking part in this experience. The day that we went Abbey Road’s studio was covered so unfortunately we were unable to see the building. Even though we were not able to see the building it was cool to see that the outside had 1000 of Beatle’s fan messages written on it. Our tour guide told us that it was repainted every three months because it fills up so fast. I think that Abbey’s Road is the perfect location to end the tour.
I really enjoyed the London walking tour of the Beatles. I loved seeing all of the different locations that were made famous because of the Beatles. I think that the Beatles had such an amazing impact, and it is obvious to see that even as time passes their impact is not fading at all. One additional thing that I loved about this tour is that it made me realize just how much I have learned over the last month. When the tour guide was telling us the different stories I was pleasantly surprised to realize that I already knew a lot of the information!

1 comment:

  1. Kate, my appreciate for the Beatles is a lot like yours so I definitely relate to you in your blog! Abbey Road was by far the coolest place we visited, and I'm on the same page with your feelings towards the band, I'm not a die hard fan, but I enjoy their music and respect them as musicians. It was great learning about them, and I felt really smart on the walking tour already knowing a lot of this history of the places we visited! I'm glad I got to share Abbey Rd with you too!

    ReplyDelete