Thursday 30 June 2011

Liverpool!


On June 28th 2011 the Raymond Walter study abroad group woke up bright and early and made their way to Liverpool. We arrived in Liverpool around 10am and had just enough time to drop off our luggage and be on our way to the Beatles museum. Arriving at the museum I really did not know what to expect.  I assumed that it would be like any other museum, full of old records, posters, and different types of memorabilia. I was pleasantly surprised upon our arrival we were given an audio tour that was be able to tell us the story about all of the different time periods and people that were important in the development of The Beatles.  The museum started off telling the story about how the band first formed when they were known as the Quarrymen. It explained how it was originally John’s group; Paul was next invited to Join after John met him on July 6th 1957 at the local church. A little time after when they were in need of a guitarist Paul brought up the idea of his friend George Harrison. As we continued through the museum we were told about and shown imitations of things like Nems (Brian Epstein’s record store), the yellow submarine, and life size manikins of the Beatles.
(Here below is a picture of the July 6th performance)
After we were done with the museum we grabbed a quick coffee from Starbucks, went to the gift shop, and waited to go on the Magical Mystery Tour bus. The bus picked us up at 2. I was really excited to go on this tour; I anticipated that we would see important places around Liverpool that were important in the Beatles childhood. The first place we drove by was the childhood home of Ringo. It was obvious by the neighborhood in which he lived in that his family was on the lower class side. We were not able to stop at his house but by looking down the street I would guess that it was a smaller house where they only had the necessities. The next stop we made was at Penny Lane. It was so cool and surreal to be next to the sign (although not the original) and on the street in which the song was recorded about.  Although none of the band members lived on Penny Lane, they took the bus going down this street almost daily. Driving down the Lane I could imagine the feeling they must have felt and was picturing the barber shop, and the bank. This Lane had a very small town, close community feeling. This was a very important area in their childhood, although they did not all know each other throughout their childhood this lane is something that they all had in common and could relate too.
Description: C:\Users\owner\Pictures\2011-06-30\078.JPGDescription: C:\Users\owner\Pictures\2011-06-30\082.JPG

                After getting back on the bus we only drove a short distance before we arrived at George Harrison’s childhood home. George lived in a smaller house in the suburbs. He and George would ride the bus together to their school. If it’s wasn’t for the bus rides George and Paul had together they may have never learned each other’s love for music at a young age. After taking a few pictures at George’s house we hopped back onto the bus. We then were on our way to Strawberry Field. Strawberry Field was a huge inspiration in John Lennon’s life. This was an orphanage that John spent a great amount of time at. He would be in the field dreaming and being by himself. John Lennon was very much of an introvert, this was a place like this was where he felt as though he could escape and get lost in his mind. When he was at Strawberry field he was able to escape reality and feel that he was safe. I was lucky enough to be able to go on the tour of John Lennon and Paul McCartney’s homes. When I was at John Lennon’s house I was informed that John’s Uncle George built John a tree house in their backyard. The tree house overlooked Strawberry Fields also. I feel that John associated this place as his safe place and home.

Description: C:\Users\owner\Pictures\2011-06-30\092.JPGDescription: C:\Users\owner\Pictures\2011-06-30\097.JPG

After leaving Strawberry Fields we drove by John Lennon’s house (Home of Aunt Mimi and Uncle George). We were unable to stop on the Magical Mystery tour, but I was able to go the following day for the tour. Throughout John’s childhood he did not have very many stable things in his life. The one thing that always remained stable was the home that Aunt Mimi provided for him. On the tour of John’s house the tour guide told the story of how Aunt Mimi did everything in her power to make sure that John would always have this home. After George died in 1955 she began letting more students live there for their rent money.  I think that this shows what a great influence Mimi had in John’s life. She was able to show him a sense of security, and able to show him that anything is possible even in dark times.
Description: C:\Users\owner\Pictures\2011-06-30\106.JPG
                The next stop we made was Paul McCartney’s childhood home. Although Paul moved around a lot as a child, this home was where he lived the longest. At the age of 14 Paul’s mother died of breast cancer. His mother was a midwife and made a great percentage of their families’ income. With his father being in sales he would work long hours which would allow Paul and John a lot of free time to work on their music and play their guitars after school. Paul’s and John were able to connect over their love of music, deaths of their mothers, and much more. They had a friend ship that was inseparable for quit some time.  They are what many call the greatest song writing team.
                Our final stop was our drop off at the Cavern club. The Cavern club is associated with the Beatles younger years. This was the club that they performed at a lot when they were starting.  I really enjoyed being in the atmosphere listening to the music of the Beatles tribute bands. Later that night when I returned with a few others Susan, Katie and I were invited on stage to sing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds with Tim aka Paul McCartney want a bee.  Although vocally I am not as good as others words cannot express the feeling that came over me. It really was one of the coolest experiences that I have had in my life.
Description: C:\Users\owner\Desktop\Liverpool\100_1354.jpg
Liverpool exceeded all of my expectations. These were two days that I will remember for probably the rest of my life. I cannot put into words the excitement that I have had, and the great memories that I am making with some amazing people. I have also found a new sense of respect for the member of The Beatles seeing what they went through as a child and the challenges that some faced in their careers.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad I've got to experience most of that ^^ with you. I took have learned so much about the culture, and the way the Beatles became the Beatles. Its been a great trip, and its not over yet! Thank you for sharing your memories with us/ me and I'm glad you took so much out of the tours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I really liked how informative your blog was! It was an easy read with numerous details that gave your readers concise images and facts on what you experienced while in Liverpool. I like how you gave specific examples of what we saw on the Magical Mystery Tour and how you included some of the stories we heard while touring John and Paul’s childhood homes. Liverpool was a really unique and interesting city to visit and I’m glad we had the chance to experience it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your blog. The way you described everything to a T was not only a stroll down memory lane of all the awesome places we visited but also a great refreshment of information as far as all the amazing things we learned but all the places we saw as well. I wish I could have gone and seen the tours of their houses, that sounded so neat! I couldn't agree more about what you said about strawberry fields and penny lane and the singing at the cavern club together, as it was a completely remarkable experience for me too. I was also pleased that we were given a audio guide in the museum, I felt it would've been so much more overwhelming without it. Not to mention it was very cool to have the narration done by a relative. So glad to have been able to have this experience with you!

    ReplyDelete